Monday, May 1, 2017

20 Saturday's Music

Watching this 17 years later stirs some difficult emotions. This is August of 2000 and I personally am in a difficult place. Literally, I am squatting in Boulder after a hellish move from Aspen. Staying in a childhood friend's house that he is actively flipping as our new townhouse is yet to be completed as promised. I have a bunch of time on my hands as I am unemployed and Suzy has started Law School. Figuratively, I am homesick for my old life in the Roaring Fork Valley. I missed my friends. I missed the way it was when I could ignore my problems and pretend I was cool. There was no going back. My 20 Saturdays were done. The season was way over. I was kidding myself. Trying to keep the dream alive. Here I am playing the drum machine, strumming the guitar, writing music for the soundtrack for a movie that didn't exist anywhere but in my mind. 
Soon I would be waiting tables at the Sunflower in Boulder, soon we would buy a puppy, I would start selling groceries for Allient (US Foods), we'd move into our new house, we would have Kayla. Life would rock and roll, but here in this video, I was a misplaced Aspen Hippy Freak freaking out and trying to cope with reality the best way I knew how. By avoiding it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment